About Us

Kallianpur  is a hamlet of Tonse East village about six kms from Udupi. It is a developed with all modern amenities like schools, college, hospital, good transport and communication facilities. It is situated on the southern bank of the river Swarna and is about four kms east of the Arabian sea. This place  may probably be the Kalliana mentioned by Kosmos Indico-pleustes. It has the ruins of a fort belonging to the Vijayanagara Empire. It has temples of Kenchamma, Veerabhadra, Mahalingeshvara, Ganapati and Venkataramana belonging to the later Vijayanagara period. Kallianpur had its hey days during the rule of the Keladi Nayakas.

Kallianpur has a famous Sri Venkatramana temple, which is considered to be about 350 years old. The idol of the presiding deity, Lord Krishna, was recovered from the river Swarna which flows near the temple. This temple was renovated twice and recently in 1990. Karthika masa deepostsava in the month of November, Kanakabhisheka in January, Varamahalaxmi Vrita in August, Chandika Homa in September are the main religious functions being held here. Gowda Saraswat Brahmins (GSB) form the main community here with Konkani as their mother tongue. Dr. T.M.A. Pai, an eminent educationalist, philanthropist and the founder of Manipal hailed from this village. People still with surname Kallianpur in front of their first name are the remnants of a great generation of forefathers.

Another temple which is now being renovated Sri Kenchamma Temple  is known as  Gramadevata.The Oldest temple here is Sri Mahalingeshwara Temple, popularly known as Eshwara Temple. The other important temples here are ;Sunkadakatte Sri Vinayaka Temple, Vitoba Bhajana Mandira, Bala Maruthi Temple ( Mill Road), Veerabadra Temple.

At Arkalabettu near Kallianpur, there is a beautiful image of Narayana with his several attributes; it is probably of the Vijayanagara period. At Uppoor, an adjacent village, there is a shrine of Ganesha built in the Vijayanagara style; its image is exquisitely carved. Uppoor was once said to have been the birthplace of Madhwacharya, but now Pajaka kshetra has been recognised by his followers as his birthplace.

 Milagres Cathedral is dedicated to Mother Mary, Our Lady of Miracles. Built about the same time as the Milagres church, Mangalore, it was founded according to the treaty between the Portuguese and Queen Keladi Chennamma of Bednore who ruled over Canara from 1671 to 1697. In 1678, the Portuguese hierarchy of Goa established this church of ‘Nostra Senhora de Milagres’ (Our Lady of the Miracles), popularly known as the Milagres Church. Tipu Sultan destroyed this church in 1784. After the return of the captives from Srirangapatna, the church was rebuilt in 1806. The existing structure was constructed in 1941.

Today the parish has around 500 families as its parishioners. It also runs 4 schools and a college. It is a major landmark in the area and the people are proud to have such prestigious institutions in the vicinity.

The place has another Catholic place of worship, named the Church of the Mount Rosary, which came into existence in 1837 when some Catholic families withdrew from the Church of Our Lady of Miracles and acknowledged the jurisdiction of the Vicar Apostolic of Verapoly. Since then it has undergone alterations and additions.At present, both the Churches belong to the divocese of Udupi.